As we begin another new year, many are looking for additional ways to make extra money. Do you get a part time job? Want to start your own home business? The idea of starting your own home business is very appealing to many people, but not everybody has what it takes to be successful. Do YOU???
Do you have what it takes to be successful? A quick quiz.
The great desire to be successful has always been a fact of life! The word “success” means different things to different people. For some, to be successful is to have your own business, so you don’t have to answer to anyone but yourself. To others, success is climbing to the top of the corporate ladder, while others visualize success as “being the best” – best at the sport they are involved in, being best at the job they work at, etc.
Answer the following questions TRUE or FALSE, then check your answers against the opinions that follow. You may not recognize all of the names quoted, but you can be assured that all of the people, whether familiar to you or not, were extremely successful in their own way.
1. Success requires mastery of the endeavor you set for yourself.
2. Everyone should realize his or her limitations and try to go no farther.
3. It is very important to try to please everybody.
4. One should believe in himself or herself.
5. Success is achieved by being single-minded in purpose.
6. Most successful people tend to be unemotional.
7. Act successful, even if you’re not.
8. An important element needed for success is to love what you do.
9. The ability to handle the people with whom you work is a skill leading to success.
10. Be sure you are right, then go ahead.
The answers listed below are the opinions of those people who are quoted.
1. TRUE. “The way to do is to be.” (Lao Tzu)
2. FALSE. “We can do anything we want to do if we stick to it long enough.” (Helen Keller)
3. FALSE. “I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, which is to try to please everybody.” (Herbert Bayard Swope)
4. TRUE. “Self trust is the first secret of success.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
5. TRUE. “I believe the true road to pre-eminent success in any line is to make yourself master of that line.” (Andrew Carnegie)
6. FALSE. “He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much.” (Mrs. A. J. Stanley)
7. TRUE. “Act as if it were impossible to fail.” (Dorothea Brande)
8. TRUE. “The first thing to do is to fall in love with your work.” (Sister Mary Lauretta)
9. TRUE. “The ability to handle men is the most valuable thing in the business world. I will pay higher for that than for any other qualification.” (John D. Rockefeller)
10. TRUE. “Be sure you are right; then go ahead.” (Davie Crockett)